Viola DeWalt High School is for students in grades 9-12.
Special consideration is given for first time freshman.
Students must meet one or more of the state's
At Risk Criteria:
1. Two or more years behind in school
2. Expelled during the preceding or current school year
3. Failed two or more courses during a semester, currently failing two or more courses, and is not expected to graduate within four years of beginning ninth grade
4. Failed at least one End of Course Exam (STAAR)
5. Pregnant or a parent
6. Alternative school placement in previous year
7. Limited English proficiency
8. In custody of Dept. of Protective and Regulatory Services
10. Resides or has resided in previous year in residential placement facility
11. Currently on parole, probation
12. Reported as a drop-out
13. Student with a disability who also has one or more of the above criteria
Accelerated packet and computer classes are available for students who need to make up credits toward graduation. Teacher instruction for academic core classes and some electives is provided.
DeWalt students receive a Viola DeWalt High School Diploma with a Multi-Disciplinary Endorsement.