What is The Academy of Viola DeWalt High School?
The Academy is the La Porte ISD’s high school of choice designed to serve the needs of at-risk students in grades 9-12. The Academy is a state certified Alternative Education Placement facility for high school students who prefer a non-traditional high school environment. The Academy IS NOT a discipline alternative educational placement.
Who can attend The Academy?
- Any high school student in grades 9-12 or former student who has not yet graduated can attend if he or she meets the state and local requirements for an at-risk alternative education school. All interested students must complete an application and participate in an interview process to be considered for acceptance at The Academy.
- Students may only transfer between La Porte High School and The Academy at the end of a semester.
- Once a student earns 19 credits and is classified as a Senior, a transfer will not be granted between La Porte High School and The Academy.
What type of diploma does The Academy offer?
- All courses are taught by state certified teachers.
- Academy students will receive a state certified High School diploma granted through La Porte ISD and graduating students are invited to participate in The Academy’s May graduation ceremony.
Is there a fee for attending The Academy?
There are no special fees to attend The Academy. The Academy is funded through regular state and local school funding.
How can I get more information?
Please see your current school counselor for additional information or an application or you can contact The Academy at 281-604-6900.