- The Academy is an application and interview-based school of choice for students in grades 9 – 12.
- Students must meet one or more of the state’s 13 identifying at risk criteria. According to state criteria, a student in grades K-12 is classified as at-risk of dropping out of school if they meet one or more of the following items:
1. A preK, K, or grade 1,2, or 3 student who did not perform satisfactorily on a readiness test;
2. Did not maintain a 70 average on a scale of 100 in grades 7-12 in 2 or more core subjects during a semester;
3. Did not advance from one grade to the next;
4. Did not perform satisfactorily on a state assessment instrument (STAAR/EOC);
5. Is pregnant or a parent;
6. Has been in Disciplinary Alternative Educational Placement (DAEP) during the past or current school year;
7. Has been expelled during the preceding or current school year;
8. Is currently on parole, probation, deferred prosecution, or other conditional release;
9. Was previously reported as a drop out;
10. Is a student of Limited English Proficiency;
11. Is in the custody of CPS or during this school year has been referred to CPS by school, court, or law enforcement;
12. Is homeless; and/or
13. Resided in residential placement the preceding or current school year.
- Computer-based classes are available for students who need to recover credits for graduation and/or are interested in early graduation.
- Students may graduate earlier than their anticipated cohort year; however, they must earn a 26-credit Recommended w/Endorsement diploma to graduate early.
- General instruction is provided in a teacher-instructed classroom with class sizes of 15 students or less.
- Academy students may earn credits towards a 22-credit Foundation diploma, 26-credit Recommended w/Endorsement diploma, or 26-credit Distinguished diploma.
- Students graduating from The Academy will receive an LPISD Academy of Viola DeWalt high school diploma.
- Intentional social-emotional issues are addressed through restorative practices and positive relationships.